I recently walked into a charming store called Olivada in Sheboygan, WI, right on the marina. They carry over 50 different olive oils and vinegars of which you can sample with bread. My favorite was a mushroom oil. Another thing that caught my eye was this recipe for Lemon Olive Oil Cake, of which I will share with you!
1 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour (or almond flour if you need it to be gluten-free)
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup plain organic yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, preferably organic and free-range
1/2 cup Olivada’s lemon-fused olive oil
For the syrup
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
For the icing
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with olive oil and flour the bottom of the pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the lemon zest and mix well.
3. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, eggs and olive oil. Whisk well to combine. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk again to combine.
4. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I suggest you start checking after 25 min: you do not want to overbake.
5. Cool cake 15 min. Remove the sides of the pan. Prick cake all over with fork. Whisk syrup ingredients together, and drizzle syrup all over cake. The syrup will seep into fork holes.
6. Allow cake to cool 30 min. Whisk icing ingredients together. Using an offset spatula (or spoon) cover the top of the cake with the icing. You can serve the cake immediately or wait 45 min. to an hour and the icing will harden.